- Before the ladder is placed in service for the first time
- At any time the ladder is suspected of being unsafe
- After the ladder has been subjected to impact loading or unusual conditions of use
- Whenever the ladder has been exposed or is suspected of having been exposed to direct flame contact (When there is discoloration beyond dirt or soot that cannot be easily washed off is often an indication that the ladder has been heated)
- Whenever the heat sensor label has changed to indicate heat exposure
- After any repairs have been completed, unless the only repair was replacing the halyard
The NFPA 1932 states that "All ground ladders shall be service tested on the following schedule:"